Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teen Night

Service Learning Project
My service-learning site will be at the Monroe YMCA.The component I will be participating in will be the Teen Center.
The Teen Center is a free service available for all kids ages 11- 18 years; it is open M-F from 3pm -7pm and Saturday from 1pm-6pm. The teen center offers a safe place for kids to come after school. They can complete homework with the use of the available computers; there is staff on site to receive help from or just to chat. There is also a plethora of games including every imaginable board game, guitar hero, Nintendo, foosball, ping-pong and pool as well as books, arts & crafts. The other components of the Teen center are the Minority Achievers Program that offers support, guidance and counseling. Chill & Spill is a creative arts/writing group for high school students and the Teen Home Zone where there are different activities available for home school kids such as cooking lessons, and weight lifting instruction. On the 1st &3rd Saturday of each month the YMCA hosts” TEEN NIGHT" This program is available for 6th -8th graders and cost $1 for members $2 for non-members and no charge the first week of the month for all Monroe residents. There is great music played for dancing, open gym for sports, different tournaments, contests and sometimes there is a theme, next month is “Dance Party”
Last Saturday night I had my first shift at the Teen center
-Teen Night.
The theme was "Sports Night" so there were different tournaments in basketball, dodge ball. Swimming and many more. This theme was a big draw, there were over 150 kids there enjoying some physical activity and good completive fun. There the very popular "dance Room" where all of the latest music is played by request at ear piercing levels (yes, I know I sound old) these kids were amazing, they danced all night even after participating in sports activities.
When they were not dancing or in the gym The kids had access to the teen room with all of the games, the front lounge with many tables to hang out and enjoy the local pizza, that is always a huge success at Teen Night while just hanging out or playing a game of cards.
I had a great experience on Saturday with the kids and staff. My position was to participate, monitor and chaperone this fun night. I learned a few new dance moves, was able to shoot some hoops, get whooped at guitar hero and triumph in foosball all while hanging out, getting to know some terrific kids. The staff was great! They did a fantastic job and were active participants in all of the activities.
I look forward to more time at the teen center with this wonderful group.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great experience! I want to see those dance moves. :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea this is a cool site, but i hope you are sometimes not carried out with the teen life. cool hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete