My service learning site is at the Monroe YMCA, The Teen center asked for help chaperoning the twice monthly teen nights where for 6 hours kids can come hang out, play games. Dance, participate in sports, and just mingle. All of this is in a safe and supervised environment. I have enjoyed this experience and look forward to my next night in June. I have learned a few things from this experience. Humbly, I am now aware that I no longer possess the “cool” trait. I was however, privileged to be included in what seemed at the moment to be a life altering crisis about “ like, that guy, that girl like my best friend’s OMG, seriously OMG, I luv uguy’s, besties, seriously”. Before I could decipher the language spoken by this sweet girl and offer some poetic advice it was over. The entire “crisis” lasting all of about 2.5 minutes, went from critical mass to best friends again, “ttyl, bye “. I was left standing there by myself, never having uttered a single word .So while I may not be “cool” or worthy of a response that girl needed someone to express herself to and I was happy to provide my ears. Besides the comparisons to TCT that I mentioned in my last blog post I see the connection that all kids have. That through all of the experiences both good and bad. However important or trivial they may seem. The experiences themselves are a privilege and an opportunity to learn. I have enjoyed just watching these kids interact. Remembering the social dramas that played such a large part of school days and wondering how I could have ever cared. It’s surprisingly funny to see it from another perspective as well as relish at the fact that someday these kids will laugh off the same scenarios. Like they say, “hind sight is 20/20” I guess throughout it all you learn a lot of valuable lessons about friendship, trust and loyalty. Coping skills are gained when we finally see that, as my Mother used to say, “this too, shall pass. Mostly we learn something about ourselves. And, with this character is built and hopefully confidence is instilled. I think what I really see when I look at these kids is a world of possibilities and potential. I wonder if they see it too? I wish for all of them to seize it and run with it.
How wonderful it is that this center with these Teen nights has afforded them the ability to keep all of that amazing possibility safe by providing them this outlet.
I am happy and feel privileged to have been a small part of it and I am thankful of its reminder to me to value all of the amazing opportunities I am fortunate enough to have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is a hilarious story, Jena. I guess you won't ever be bff with her but what a great thing to have been there. :)
ReplyDelete